Monday, April 23, 2012

Call Me Ishmalia

The files in my office go back decades, so there is an absolute treasure trove of old, wonderful, beautifully unique names that I come across from time to time.  I wrote some down last week that I found especially delightful and/or interesting (and I put a <3 next to my favorites) :

Effie Effie was #63 in 1880
Lenora
Murvin
Gwenice
Delbert
Cletus
Myrtle
Arlie <3
Fern
Freya
Harlan <3
Annette
Emery
Jerome
Elva another popular turn of the century name
Marzella peaked in 1881
Wilma
Maro
Myrtis
Eldon <3
Rhoda <3
Lida
Winfield  <3 an especially good Kansas name!
Monte that pink isn't a mistake!
Neva in the top 500 until the 1940's
Elnora
Lorel
Johnita misspelled Juanita? I also found a Waunita!
Etta
Atha hasn't even been in the top #1000 since 1908
Dagmar a guy in our file, but in the last 100 years it's been more commonly a female name
Ila <3 peaked at #250 in 1911
Ione <3

Info from www.ssa.gov

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! what an amazing list! I love effie and arlie best. I will definitely save this list to go back to when the time comes to choose a name for baby #2!
    thank you so much for visiting my blog and your lovely comment. I am on pottermore!! I love it, its wonderful :) x

    ReplyDelete