Tuesday, February 7, 2012

When I was in grade school I was pretty obsessed with what I called "the olden days." I read anything about pioneer life, the Oregon Trail, Annie Oakley, and Carrie Woodlawn that I could get my hands on. One time I even dressed up like a little pioneer girl in a long skirt, one of my great-great-grandmother's 1880's sunbonnets, a blanket for a shawl, and went to school like that.  I even wrapped my lunch in wax paper and carried it in a basket. I was pretty adorable, if I say so myself. I only dressed up the one time, but I always had the hardships of the trail on my mind in the form of my favorite shoes. Before K-Mart or Target or even Wal-Mart came to our town, we had the 1/2 Price Store, whose new incarnation I believe is Gordman's. Anyway, the 1/2 Price Store carried the perfect style of brown, ankle high, leather shoes that let me pretend all day long that I was trekking West on a dusty trail, all my belongings in a knapsack and a piano in a covered wagon.

Here are some grownup versions of the shoes I've never been able to get out of my head (or heart).

AK Anne Klein Camberley Flat Boot
Anne Klein
Steve Madden Troopa Boots - Women's
Steve Madden
Indigo By Clarks Water Row Ankle Boot
Clark's
Blondo Vinnica Boot
Blondo
 The Anne Klein are mostly just up there because they're seriously sexy boots for a really good price.

Clark's are Clark's are Clark's: great quality, great shoe, but the heel is a little high to be daily wear for my 5' 11" self.

The Madden's are cute and the most "old-fashioned" looking and would be great under jeans, which is a lot of what I'm looking for in these shoes.

I've never heard of Blondo, but I think those are some really good looking boots and I would love them forever.

Since I've started dreaming about my pioneer shoes I can't get them out of my head. I feel like I would regret letting all of these slip away, so I'd better make a decision fast or see if I forget about them!

3 comments:

  1. Did you post this on Laura Ingalls Wilder's birthday on purpose, or was it pure coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh! Oregon Trail..I was sooo obsessed with that game in elementary school! xoxo

    ReplyDelete